Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The JWE welcomes Paula Deen with open arms!

Forget the drugs and butter Paula! Join the Joel Whalen Experience!!


Excerpts from the Associated Press report regarding Paula Deen’s announcement that she has Type 2 diabetes.

NEW YORK (AP) — Paula Deen, the Southern belle of butter and heavy cream, makes no apologies for waiting three years to disclose she has diabetes while continuing to dish up deep-fried cheesecake and other high-calorie, high-fat recipes on TV.

She said she isn't changing the comfort cooking that made her a star, though it isn't clear how much of it she'll continue to eat while she promotes health-conscious recipes along with a diabetes drug she's endorsing for a Danish company…….

….Health activists and one fellow chef called her a hypocrite for promoting an unhealthy diet along with a drug to treat its likely effects. Deen added her support of the Novo Nordisk company to a collection of lucrative endorsements that include Smithfield ham and Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Deen, who will turn 65 on Thursday, said she kept her diagnosis private as she and her family figured out what to do, presumably about her health and a career built solidly on Southern cooking. Among her recipes: deep-fried cheesecake covered in chocolate and powdered sugar, and a quiche that calls for a pound of bacon….

.... Some health experts question the delay between the time Deen was diagnosed with diabetes and her move three years later to promote a healthier way of cooking and living.

"A more responsible approach would have been that once she was diagnosed with diabetes to really emphasize to her viewers the importance of eating a healthy diet," said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest

3 comments:

  1. Very irresponsible......but maybe it isn't the food that is causing the diabetes. Maybe it is the diabetes fairy waving her magic wand at someone else and Paula was in the way......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good debate subject that I think would have varying opinions. I can make some assumptions about her viewing audience but I wont...I think you know where I am heading with that. Bottom line, people should be more educated about their diets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys and Girls, I have sinned and broke a golden rule. I had a glass of wine at my client dinner on Saturday night. (El Gaucho in Seattle/great steak but i had fish) I actually had no guilt. I have been very good since the beginning and actually feel great. This was my 1st compromise. Energy is good and I feel great. I am down 7.5 pounds since I weighed in at 203.3 on Dec 31. I think with some more running I can get down to 193 which would be my lowest since close to college graduation.

    ReplyDelete